The Bombay High Court on Tuesday questioned extension of parole granted to actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
“The state should exercise its discretionary powers properly and should not discriminate,” said the court.
The court further said, “The state government would not have shown this diligence in cases where convict is a common man.”
Dutt has been out on parole since December 21 and was to return to the Yerawada Jail in Pune on February 21. He had again applied for parole in order to attend his ailing wife and look after his twin children and his wish was reportedly granted and his parole was again extended till March 21.
Dutt was convicted by the Supreme Court for illegal possession of arms in connection with the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case and was sentenced to six years of imprisonment.
He had earlier served 18 months of jail and had surrendered himself before a Mumbai court on May 18, 2013 to serve the remaining period of his imprisonment.
Since then, Dutt has been granted parole three times by the Maharashtra government.